Page 1 of 7
1. The Economic Research Program
The main thrust of the work program of HESPI is research and analysis on development policy issues that are important in formulation of sustainable policy reforms. These issues include public finance management, the role of institutions and good governance in development, the role of domestic and international private investment in economic growth and poverty reduction, and the effective use of local finances and development assistance. Promotion of high productivity of private and public investment to sustain long-term growth; raising living standards and alleviating poverty through employment, food security enhancement and developing the necessary physical and social infrastructure.
HESPI conducts studies to:
- Assess the impact of public policy on broad-based economic growth and poverty reduction;
- Enhance fiscal performance and promote appropriate fiscal policies at the regional and the state levels; and strengthen Public Finance Management in a transparent and accountable manner;
- Assist with implementation of appropriate monetary and credit policies and programs at the regional and or national levels, and promote the development of the financial sector, in order to deepen and widen finance for trade and investment;
- Promote a culture of financial discipline through the support of indigenous institutions for accountability;
- Develop economic and social sector reforms and build viable and effective institutions;
- Support mobilization of domestic resources and the effective use of international development assistance;
- Assess the state of poverty and social deprivation in local communities; and
- Promote trade development and integration of the economies of the Horn of Africa sub-region countries, and harmonization and coordination of their plans, policies and programs.