Expression of interest (EOI)
for short-term consultancy service to train
the HESPI research team on Applied Micro-econometrics using STATA
Country/Region: Ethiopia/IGAD region
Horn Economic and Social Policy Institute (HESPI) is a research Institute and think tank established to promote high-quality socio-economic policy research and analysis, policy advisory services and capacity building to assist the governments, private sector and other stakeholders of the development of the IGAD region.
HESPI envisions that appropriate socio-economic policies are developed and implemented to facilitate growth and capable institutions, which can become vehicles of the promising development process and the poverty reduction efforts. HESPI’s policy oriented research and addresses various policy issues, disincentives and knowledge gaps that retard development primarily in the IGAD region.
The empirical research products are used to underpin ongoing policy formulation and implementation processes in the IGAD member countries and by the regional level institutions. Such initiatives will also help realize the capacity building visions of the ACBF and other collaborating stakeholders in the region.
In order to conduct the high-quality research and produce valid policy recommendations, the Institute believes that its research team should be continuously capacitated. The ACBF supported project also has included technical and institutional capacity building under its 5 years project. As part of the capacity building package for 2017, HESPI has planned a short-term training on Applied Micro-econometrics to build the econometric data analysis and data management capacity of the research fellows.
Purpose of the training
The purpose of this training is to familiarize participants with the application of econometric techniques commonly used by micro-economists using the software Stata. Methods considered include difference-in-differences methods, Randomization and Propensity Score Matching. Emphasis will be placed on application through data-intensive assignments. The course will also provide background on issues that arise when analyzing non-experimental social science data.
Key deliverables and learning outcomes
- The consultant will develop an inception reports detailing the training proposal (approaches and methods of delivery)
- The consultant will provide the institute with the application software, data set and the reading materials that will aid in the analysis
- After completing this training, participants should be able to:
- Understand and use econometric tools in the analysis of cross-section and panel data
- Understand the types of research design that can lead to convincing analysis
- Be comfortable working with the software package Stata
Qualification and Profile of the Consultants
HESPI seeks to engage the services of individual consultants with:
- Solid post-graduate level academic training in Economics, Statistics, Econometric modeling, or development studies
- Demonstrated ability to train senior research groups on micro-econometric models and STATA applications
- A working knowledge of the structure of IGAD region economic sectors is desirable;
- Excellent communication skills; and good command of English both in writing and speaking with ability to smoothly convey knowledge.
Request for Expression of Interest
HESPI now, therefore, invites eligible and qualified individuals researchers to indicate their interest in providing the training. Interested individual consultants must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services giving a description of similar assignments undertaken before.
Negotiable. HESPI offers an attractive remuneration for qualified trainers of short-term intensive training consultancy services.
Submission of Expression of Interest
Expression of Interest clearly marked “Expression of Interest for Consultancy Services to train HESPI research team on Applied Micro-econometrics using STATA” should be submitted before 5:00 pm of May 15, 2017. Applications should be sent to email@example.com . It is advisable to send updated CV together with your EOI.